[New-york-news] CCVIP - I'm Not Blind--I Just Can't See

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 20:14:51 UTC 2014

I am not sure, but I get these e-mails thought it was of interest to you all.

Vision loss. Everyone experiences it, but few want to talk about it.

On Wednesday,
April 23rd at 7:30 pm, tune into our latest podcast, I'm Not Blind--I Just Can't See, where we explore vision loss from different points of view. We'll talk to three professionals about how people overcome their fears, deal with the new
 reality of changing vision and how to make the most of what they have.

Ana Dureas of the
New York State Commission for the Blind,  Dr. Bruce Rosenthal
of Lighthouse Low Vision Service and Kate Grathwol of Vision Loss Resources in Minneapolis will be our guests. They'll also take questions from the audience. You can tune in here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ccvip/2014/04/23/im-not-blind-i-just-cant-see

Next week: on April 30 at 7 pm when we'll talk to
DJ Nash, the creator of Growing Up Fisher. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ccvip/2014/04/30/growing-up-fisher-a-conversation-with-dj-nash

And in case you missed it, tune into our latest podcast,
Accessible Astronomy: Reach for the Stars. We talked to Dr. Elena Sabbi of the Space Telescope Science Institute about a new accessible astronomy book:
Reach for the Stars. We also talk to David Gaynes, the director of Saving Hubble, a documentary about the great space telescope. You can listen here:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ccvip/2014/04/18/accessible-astronomy-reach-for-the-stars-1

We had one of the best conferences ever this year. In case you missed it, we have some of the highlights here:

Early in
Deborah Dagit's career, employers would take one look at her and say, "I'm sorry, but..." At our conference she told a rapt audience that her greatest disability was in the minds of people who interviewed her. This is her story:  http://bit.ly/1hQiaPU
Dora Lopez
was born in Peru with Usher Syndrome and Retinitis Pigmentosa. When she moved to the U.S., she had the double challenge of learning American Sign Language and finding
 work. Not only did she ace her interviews, she learned all of the technology she had to use on the job. Here's her story: http://youtu.be/_pSlAi8E2i4
We also heard from Gary Grassman:
http://youtu.be/4VvIErOTUIQ
and our own Lynne Tatum: http://youtu.be/_v-2SB4oeEc
Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer
 re-affirmed her support for accessible pedestrian signals: http://youtu.be/oLtyzUXRUN8
and handed out awards to our long-time board member
Julie Jansen: http://youtu.be/xph79xU9u7U
David Birdsell: http://youtu.be/Ce9ISDeVNwU

and
Iris Rosen: http://youtu.be/jgmtyW9VQHc
We also honored Arnie Kramer from the Commission for the Blind: http://youtu.be/Q5RCaJs1xtA
The Jericho Project was one of several employers who received a Breaking Barriers
 Award for hiring one of our former students Derrek Pollitt:http://youtu.be/44zGI2Mn2_0