[New-york-news] Why do we fear the blind story from NY Times

Gabias, Paul paul.gabias at ubc.ca
Thu Jan 9 16:42:09 UTC 2014

Hi Everybody,

I am tempted to respond to this article, given that it was in the New
York Times.  My feeling is that, in my daily dealings with the public,
as a Professor of Psychology, and as a Nikken Wellness Consultant, and
as a father of four children, married to a blind woman, and a longtime
resident of Kelowna, the public is much better than that portrayed in
the article.  All of this needs to be put into the proper perspective,
which the article didn't do.  I think that this article makes it harder
for blind people to simply go out with confidence, trusting that we will
be able to interact with the public on terms of equality.  That trust
and confidence has to come from within.  In this case, we hold the deck
of cards.  The public will react the way it thinks that it should, given
our own control of situations all around us.  Anyway, that's how I
choose to function, and it works well for me.

All The Best

Paul Gabias PhD LLD