[New-york-news] Media request: Blind Pedestrians and Cyclists

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Tue Nov 24 03:20:58 UTC 2015

*Forwarding this along .*

*Subject:* Deadline press request from amNY

Greetings – I’m a reporter at amNY putting together a story on low and
no-vision New Yorkers getting hit by careless bicyclists.

Jaine Schmidt at the Lighthouse Guild suggested I reach out to you to see
if perhaps your Coalition knows of anyone who would share their stories of
painful pedestrian-bicycle encounters.

I had a conversation with a blind woman I met on the subway who told me she
had been hit multiple times by bikes (“we’re trained to listen for traffic
but we can’t hear bicycles,” she explained). It didn’t occur to me until
after we parted (& I failed to obtain her name and contact info) that her
plight would be the subject of a great story to raise awareness, as many
cyclists are oblivious to the fact that some pedestrians can’t see them
coming.

Anyway, would any of you be able to put me in touch with blind or
low-vision folks who have been hit by bikes in NYC willing to share their
story with the public? I need their names, phone numbers and email
addresses in order to give this story the real life human dimension it
demands.

With thanks in advance for whatever assistance you might be able to
provide, I remain,

Yours gratefully,

Sheila Anne Feeney

Reporter

amNewYork

240 W. 35th St.

Ninth Floor

New York, NY 10001

Sheila.feeney at amny.com

646-293-9427

www.amny.com

Not in the office on Fridays and Saturdays

--
Chancey S. Fleet
Assistive Technology Coordinator