[New-york-news] Announcing the New York State Convention

Mike Robinson president at nfbny.org
Tue Aug 14 12:22:06 UTC 2018

You Are Cordially Invited to Attend

The 62nd Convention of the National Federation of the Blind

Of New York State

The National Federation of the Blind of New York State will hold its
sixty-second annual convention in Buffalo, NY, from October 19-21, 2018.
Please join us as we strive to build a network of expertise and
encouragement among blind New Yorkers and work together to make a positive
difference in the lives of blind people across New York State.

Who Are We?

The NFB of NYS is an organization of blind and visually impaired New Yorkers
who believe that, with the appropriate training, attitude, and
opportunities, blind people can live the lives we want.  NFB of NYS brings
blind people together to support and learn from one another and to celebrate
our achievements as we work together to improve the lives of the blind of
New York.

Our Convention Agenda

It is our pleasure to welcome back, as our National Representative, Mr. Mark
Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind.  We will be
privileged to hear him share information about the ongoing work of the
Federation nationwide.

The theme of this year's convention will be "Back to Basics". We'll be
looking at the main purposes of the Federation and revisiting our ultimate
goals.  We hope everyone will come away from convention feeling refreshed,
rejuvenated and ready to carry the Federation spirit back to each of our
communities.

On Friday, October 19, the day will be filled with break-out sessions and
small group meetings.  Among these will be the annual seminars of the
various divisions of the NFB of NYS.  These will include our Seniors
Division, our Student Division, Guide Dog Division, Blind Parents Group, and
our Parents of Blind Children Division.  These meetings are interactive and
open to all convention attendees, so please stop by!

Also, on Friday, we will host a town hall style meeting with Brian Daniels,
Associate Commissioner of the New York State Commission for the Blind and
Visually Impaired.  Everyone is welcome to attend our board meeting, where
among other things, the winners of our 2018 NFB of NYS scholarships will
introduce themselves.  Convention attendees are encouraged to explore our
exhibit hall, where the latest technology will be on display and information
pertinent to our community will be shared. In the evening, join us for our
hospitality event!  Meet and mingle with other Federation members in a
relaxed atmosphere of food and fellowship.

All day Saturday the general sessions of the convention will provide us with
the opportunity to hear presentations on topics that are important to blind
people across New York and across the nation.

The excitement will continue during Our Saturday evening banquet, with an
address by our keynote speaker, Mr. Mark Riccobono, the fun of our annual
"horse race," and prize giveaways.   The banquet will come to a dramatic
close with the presentation of our 2018 NFB of NYS scholarships.

Please see the "special notes" later in this letter.

On Sunday morning we will hold our annual business meeting to chart our
course for the coming year. We will also consider the resolutions that the
Convention deems vital for our future. We will hear Chapter and Division
reports from around the state. We will then return home, revitalized and
ready to live the lives we want, and to share our experiences and our
learning with other blind members of our communities.

Reservations, Room Rates and Registration

This year's convention will be held in Buffalo, at the Holiday Inn, 4600
Genesee Street, Cheektowaga, NY 14225. Please make all hotel reservations
through the NFB of NYS office, by visiting
<http://www.nfbny.org/conventions/details> www.nfbny.org/conventions/details
and completing our online registration form, or by filling out the attached
registration form and returning it to the affiliate office.   Room rates
this year are $99 per night, including doubles and quads.

Using the same registration form, you will also be able to purchase your
banquet ticket ($30) and pay your $15 convention registration fee.  To make
eating on the go easy during this fun and event-packed weekend, we also
offer the option to purchase boxed lunches both Friday and Saturday, which
can be ordered for $12 each when you register.  All payments including the
hotel room must be made through the NFB of New York. A five percent discount
will be given to anyone who registers by October 5, 2018.

Limited financial assistance may be available through NFB of NYS to attend
the convention.  If you would like to apply to have part of your room or
travel costs covered by the organization, please contact the President of
NFB of NYS, Mike Robinson, (716-222-3632) for more information.

Free childcare will be provided during all our events. Pre-registration for
this service is required by October 1.

Please call the office at 718-567-7821 with any questions regarding this
year's convention.

The convention is shaping up to be a tremendous event.  Come to Buffalo and
share in the excitement.  I look forward to seeing everyone there.

                     Mike Robinson, President

                     NFB of New York

                     (716) 222-3632

blindness is not what holds you back.

SPECIAL NOTES

* The Commission for the Blind Town Hall Meeting be from 9:00 to 11:00 am on
Friday, October 19th.

* The Board of Director's Meeting will be from 11:00 am - 12:00 pm on Friday
October 19th.

* Transportation from your chosen means to the hotel is simple this year.
The Holiday Inn offers a shuttle from both the Buffalo Airport and the Depew
Amtrak station to their facility. If traveling by bus, just ensure the bus
stops at the Buffalo Airport.  The phone number for the hotel to arrange a
shuttle is 716-634-6969.

* Join us on the evening of Friday, October 19th for our New York
Hospitality event! Activities include:

NFB Back to Basics Trivia and games,

Dance steps, including beginners' classes, for all and

Personalized karaoke for the loudest state in the house.

Refreshments will be served!  All are welcome.

* Our senior citizens are invited to join each other for lunch on Saturday
at the convention.  You can buy a box lunch at registration or buy it in
advance when you register.  We will discuss the possibilities of forming a
Seniors Division in New York.  This will address the problems of older
people losing vision or just the problems of aging.  Let's get together and
talk.  The room will either be in the agenda or announced during the
convention session on Saturday morning.

* Student Division seminar and business meeting will be on Friday the 19th.
Come make your voices heard.