[New-york-news] promoting work of NFB in CDR publication

Kathryn Carroll carroll.kathryn.e at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 17:01:57 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Just wanted to share that I made a successful effort to include the work of
the NFB in a publication by the Center for Disability Rights. CDR published
comments in response to Governor Cuomo's proposed budget for fiscal year
2019. In the proposed budget, the Governor discusses access to Excelsior
scholarship. As you'll see in the response, I pointed out that making
access to the Excelsior scholarship by DACA recipients contingent on
applying to a higher ed program in New York within five years of graduating
from high school or receiving a GED would be problematic for some people
with disabilities. As the NFB of NY resolved, the TASC has been
demonstrably inaccessible, so requiring passage of an inaccessible test in
a certain time frame would be unfair to some. Also, we don't want to
inadvertently exclude students with disabilities from the scholarship if
they are sent to schools outside the state to get an appropriate education
(as blind students sometimes are).

http://cdrnys.org/blog/press-releases/governor-cuomo-gambles-with-disabled-lives-liberty/

Katy Carroll