[New-york-news] Coming up Thursday - Tactile Tactics: Best Practices for Tactile Design

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Tue May 22 17:18:43 UTC 2018

Thursday May 24, 5:15 - 6:45 PM

Need directions? Curious about our other workshops? Find us at
talkingbooks.nypl.org

Join us for a workshop designed to get you thinking about how to design
effective and meaningful tactile graphics and models to engage people with
and without vision. Explore the differences between visual and tactile
experience, and learn how to use that awareness to thoughtfully plan,
create, and select successful tactile representations and objects to serve
constituents and engage audiences. You’ll also review strategies on how to
implement the tactiles well, and how context can impact a tactile’s
meaning. Please register by emailing chanceyfleet at nypl.org or calling
212-621-0627

This workshop is part of the *Dimensions *project - bringing free tactile
graphics and 3d printing to the community with accessible equipment,
software, and training workshops.   Read more about the project here
<https://www.nypl.org/blog/2017/10/18/dimensions-tactile-graphics-objects>
Get Involved: Free Skillbuilding Workshops

Throughout Spring 2018, the Library will offer a set of three skillbuilding
workshops around tactile graphics. Registration is required. If you are
interested in attending both the 2d and 3d Basics, we strongly recommend
that you attend one of the Tactile Tactics: Best Practices for Tactile
Design sessions. Check our calendar for dates and RSVP information.

Other accommodations such as ASL interpretation and real-time (CART)
captioning can be arranged with a minimum of two weeks notice.  Please
email accessibility at nypl.org with accommodation requests or questions.

--
Chancey S. Fleet
Assistive Technology Coordinator