[New-york-news] Join us for a more accessible Maker Faire on Sep 23!

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Tue Sep 11 14:52:18 UTC 2018

        NYC Maker Faire 3rd Annual Nonvisual Accessibility Contingent

Sep 23, 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM

New York Hall of Science (Queens)

Shares among your networks welcomed and appreciated!

Register to join our contingent as a blind/low vision patron or as a
sighted describer. It’s DIY accessibility through teamwork. Describers
attend free; attendees who aren’t describing are invited to pay as they
can.

Please register by emailing ChanceyFleet at nypl.org y September 17. Let me
know if you registering as an attendee or a describer; whether you are
available the whole day from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM; and what part of the maker
movement is most interesting to you.I’ll reply by September 19 with
logistics including directions, tickets, a meetup spot and a contact list.
Et’s make access happen!L

>From the website:

Maker Faire is primarily designed to be forward-looking, showcasing

makers who are exploring new forms and new technologies. But it’s not just
for the

novel in technical fields; Maker Faire features innovation and
experimentation across the spectrum of science, engineering, art,
performance and craft.

Maker Faire is a gathering of fascinating, curious people who enjoy
learning and who love sharing what they can do. It’s a venue for makers to
show examples

of their work and interact with others about it. Many makers say they have
no other place to share what they do. DIY (Do-It-Yourself) is often
invisible

in our communities, taking place in shops, garages and on kitchen tables.
It’s typically out of the spotlight of traditional art or science or craft
events.

Maker Faire makes visible these projects and ideas that we don’t encounter
every day.

--
Chancey S. Fleet
Assistive Technology Coordinator