[New-York-News] August 27: Gentle Intro to OpenScad!

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Mon Aug 12 19:58:20 UTC 2019

3D Design with Code: a Gentle Intro to OpenScad

With the Dimensions Project at the New York Public Library

Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library

Talkingbooks.nypl.org

Tuesday August 27, 1:00 to 4:00 PM Eastern

Join us online via Zoom or live in the Flatiron district of NYC. Either
way, please register by emailing ChanceyFleet at nypl.org or calling (212)
621-0627.
Why OpenScad?

OpenScad lets you create, connect, move and subtract shapes (called
primitives) with just a few lines of code. Combining these shapes allows
you to build any 3D design you like, then export to a file that a 3D
printer, CNC machine or laser cutter can use. OpenScad comes with powerful
tools for including text and images, and its active community of users has
created libraries that make even more useful.

OpenScad uses a simple programming language: you can create your first
design in no time, even if you haven’t tried coding before.
What can you make with OpenScad?

You can design anything you can imagine. You might start with a small
project like a measuring tool, a writing guide, a keychain, a game piece or
a name plate. You can create something practical or an abstract,
interesting shape – it’s up to you.
Do you need vision to design in 3D?

Nope. Although onscreen renderings do show a visual image of what you
create with code, you’ll learn to read the code itself to understand and
revise your design.
What kind of experience do I need to bring to this workshop?

Although everyone is welcome, we’re not going to spend much time on how
screen readers work. If you are moderately comfortable with your screen
reader (you can edit documents, navigate a website and install programs),
you’re ready for this workshop. No prior experience with code is required!

This workshop involves a lot of spatial thinking. During and after the
workshop, you may find it helpful to have measuring tools, clay, a tactile
sketchpad or whatever other equipment helps you think about objects in
space. We’ll start simple and use plenty of examples, so it’s fine if
you’re spatial reasoning

skills are a little dusty.

If you have a Braille display, we highly recommend that you use it when
you’re coding. One stray punctuation mark can keep your code from
rendering. If you don’t use a Braille display, make sure you know how to
adjust your screen reader to read all punctuation when you’re in the code
editor.
What will we cover?

When you register, you’ll receive instructions for downloading OpenScad and
accessing our Zoom conference, along with a link to volunteer Claire’s
interactive curriculum. You can expect to learn about the following
concepts:

·       How additive 3D printers work

·       Creating shapes (cylinder, sphere, cube)

·       Union: combining shapes

·       Difference: subtracting shapes

·       Translate: Placing shapes at coordinates on the 3-dimensional plane

·       Rotate: Changing the angle of shapes

·       Scale: Adjusting the size of shapes or groups

·       Adding text to your project

·       Exporting your project for printing

--
Chancey S. Fleet
Assistive Technology Coordinator