[New-york-news] Access, Expression, Exposure: "Privacy in Public" by Metro Libraries Association coming up Tuesday

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Thu Feb 7 20:11:39 UTC 2019

Tuesday February 12, 5:45 - 7:45 PM (special evening hours)
Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library
40 West 20th St
New York, NY 10011

This event is presented by the New York Metropolitan Library Council. Visit
Metro.org to get to know them!

Your RSVP is appreciated, though not required, to:
ChanceyFleet at nypl.org

Join us for an evening of discussion, reflection and ideation on digital
privacy, self-expression and the tools we choose when we build community.
Libraries are safe harbors for self-expression that also endeavor to
safeguard patron privacy. In a rapidly evolving digital landscape that
trends toward
ever-denser webs of connection, balancing connectedness and privacy is a
universal challenge. For those of us who use assistive technology, the
challenge
is compounded by the emergence of universally accessible tools for
communication that are almost always deeply enmeshed in the cloud.
What You Say Here is an interactive prototype that invites patrons of the
Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library to share their stories
privately
and anonymously within library space but without any connection to the web,
making it possible to share with a crowd without exposure to the cloud. This
project is inspired by the walls of sticky notes that appeared in New York
City subway stations shortly after the 2016 presidential election -- a
spontaneous
public sphere that enabled citizens to voice their concerns and emotions
collectively and anonymously, yet proved inaccessible to many. This episode
is
emblematic of the experiences of countless disabled people, for whom
certain modes of communication and new technologies can become barriers to
participation,
silos, or sources of vulnerability.
The artists and engineers behind the project (Taeyoon Choi, Tiri Kananuruk,
Chancey Fleet and Jill Rothstein) designed this project to spur collective
inquiry about the ways  in which our ever-changing abilities, spaces and
tools combine to create novel opportunities for both vulnerability and
empowerment.
In conversation with special guest Shannon Finnegan, we'll explore how the
project was imagined and ideated, and how the themes of digital privacy,
access,
expression and exposure resonate throughout our communities.

About the Panelists

Taeyoon Choi is an artist, educator and cofounder of the School for Poetic
Computation.

Tiri Kananuruk is a Bangkok-born, New York-based performance and sound
artist.

Chancey Fleet is a library educator for nonvisual tech, design and DIY, and
a Fellow at Data & Society Research Institute.

--
Chancey S. Fleet
Assistive Technology Coordinator