[New-york-news] legislation

Christian Minkler chrisminkler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 14:24:52 UTC 2019

Friends, I encourage everyone to contact their state assembly members and
senators to urge them to co-sponsor, if they are not already co-sponsors,
the Blind Persons Right to Parent Act and the Electronic Information Act.
The Blind Persons Right to Parent Act is A1721 in the New York State
Assembly and S4536 in the New York State Senate.  The Electronic Information
Act, which would provide a continuous source of funding for newsline in New
York State, is A4590 in the Assembly and S3599 in the Senate.

I was made aware by members of my chapter of another bill in the Assembly
and Senate that may be of interest to people who ride paratransit.  There is
a bill which has been introduced that relates to extending the distance that
paratransit busses will travel.  To quote from the bill: It "requires
accessible busses to be available within a service area measuring one and a
half miles of any bus line of the authority or its subsidiaries."   It would
help a great deal to extend this area for paratransit riders for jobs,
doctor appointments and other places.  The bill in the Assembly for this is
A5012.  It is sponsored by Assembly member David DiPietro.  The Senate bill
is S510.  It is sponsored by Senator Tim Kennedy.  The number for the New
York State Assembly switchboard is 518-455-4100.  The number for the New
York State Senate switchboard is 518-455-2800.  The last day of the current
session for the Assembly and Senate is Wednesday, June 19.  The New York
Assembly and Senate do not meet during the summer or fall.  The only
exception to this rule is when a special session is called.  Regards, Chris
Minkler.