[New-york-news] March Events For Our Affiliate

heather.l.bird at gmail.com heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 20:18:17 UTC 2019

Chapter Presidents, please share this with your members, especially those
who cannot/do not use email, or who are not subscribed to New York News.

Everyone, please share this with any blind people you know whether they
belong to the NFB, the ACB, or neither, or when relevant, with blindness
professionals.

There are a lot of important conference calls and events coming up this
month, so please give this a read and mark down those in your calendar which
you are interested in or need to attend.

Our first conference call of the month will be our Blind Seniors Group on
Sunday March 10th from 7:00 until 8:30 P.M. Carl will be hosting a great
call this month, so please join him on the following number: (218) 339-4932.
The pass code is 77741.

Our next call will be the quarterly board meeting for the New York
Association of Guide Dog Users and it will take place at 8:30 P.M. also on
Sunday the 10th of March, but on this number: (605) 475-4786. The pass code
is 869480.

Next up will be the New York Parents of Blind Children Monthly meeting by
phone. Jim tells me that we will have a continuation of the ages and stages
series with discussion of blind toddlers and preschoolers. Topics will
continue with the EI, early Intervention system, CPSE meeting strategies,
what discovery method white cane skills look like in very young children,
the Braille Tails program, how NLS serves young blind children, and more.
This call will be on Tuesday March 12th at 8:00 P.M. The call-in number is
605) 475-4786 and the pass code is 869480.

Moving right along, our next call will be the New York Association of Guide
Dog Users monthly meeting by phone. We will be continuing our interviews of
guide dog training programs with Jennine Stanley from the Guide Dog
Foundation. She is one of the individuals who worked on trying to reform the
portion of the Air Carrier Access Act with regards Service Animals, and she
will be speaking about the Guide Dog Foundation as well as how and when
America's Vet Dogs serves blinded veterans. The call will be on Sunday,
March 17th beginning at 8:00 P.M. These calls will now be recorded and these
recordings will be made available on the NYAGDU website shortly. The call-in
number is (605) 475-4786.

On Tuesday March 19th there will be an At-Large Chapter meeting by phone at
8:00 P.M. on the following number: (218) 339-4932, with this pass code:
77741.

If you live in or near the greater Rochester area, please come and check-out
the in-person Kernel Book Club on Tuesday, March 26th 2019 at Spot Coffee
House from 6:30 P.M. until 8:00 P.M. This Month's book will be The Freedom
Bell. Not local? Visit the book club blog to discuss What Color Is The Sun?
up through March 15th and The Freedom Bell from March 16th through April
10th.

The Blind Parents of New York conference calls have been put on hiatus
pending exploration of alternative platforms/formats due to very low
attendance. Candice promises to keep us posted if and when other options are
launched such as a What's App. Group, email list, quarterly calls, etc. So,
please keep a look out for her email on the subject.

An updated calendar will be forthcoming to reflect the addition of the
Kernel Book Club with the dates of the in-person meetings, as well as the
book discussion run dates for the online blog, updates to when and how the
Blind Parents will meet, and the last few finalized Guide Dog training
programs to be added to the NYAGDU schedule, so keep a look out for that in
the month of March as well. An email with details on the Kernel Book Club
will also be sent separately with a link to the blog and an explanation of
the format. If and when the Blind Students Division decides to hold any
recurring phone, or online events, those will be added as well. There is a
lot of interesting activity coming up, so  please come and join us as often
as you wish and are able.