[New-York-News] Flier For An Event For Blind Children, Please Share

heather.l.bird at gmail.com heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 21:52:16 UTC 2019

To all  parents and family members of blind children.

Please come and join us at Darian Lake Theme Park for a day of fantastic
frights and fun.

. When? Saturday, October 5th, 2019, from 11:00 up until closing time at
Darian lake Theme Park.

Where? Darian Lake Theme Park, located at 9993 Allegheny Rd., Darien Center,
NY 14040.

What? The annual Darian Lake Fright Fest social event of the Rochester
chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of New York State.

Who? Members of the local chapter of NFBNYS will be attending, including:
the president, secretary, and a board member of the New York Parents of
Blind Children division, the president and a board member of the New York
Association of Guide Dog Users, and members of the New York Association of
Blind Students. We are inviting the parents/guardians and other family
members of blind children, as well as any friends from your blind child's
school, church, camp, etc. to come with you.

Why? In the NFB we work to raise expectations because low expectations build
barriers between blind people and our dreams. There is often a tendency to
shelter, protect and otherwise view blind children as breakable. However,
blind children tend to enjoy wild rides, racing roller coasters, drops,
dives, twists and turns just as much as their sighted peers. It is great for
the sighted public to see our blind children engaging in physical, not just
calm, quiet academic pursuits. You can't get much more physical, and much
more fun than flying through the air, zipping along a track  and screaming
your lungs out. This is also a fantastic opportunity to meet up with other
families of blind children. This is a flexible event so you can buddy up
with another family and go around the park all day together, or do your own
thing and just say hello when you find yourself passing by another family
with a blind child.

How? If you wish to attend, please contact Bernice Bird at (585) 288-7478 or
Bernice.j.bird at gmail.com <mailto:Bernice.j.bird at gmail.com>  and let her know
how many people from your family will be coming. Then you PayPal the cost of
your tickets, $20 per person to nfbrochester at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbrochester at gmail.com> .

It is important to know how many cars will be using the parking lot, because
the park staff have graciously agreed to waive the parking fee for our
group. Parking passes will be requested by September 25, therefore, let us
know if you need one when you contact Bernice with how many tickets you will
want.

Show up on the 5th at the main gates between 11:00 and 11:30 to pick up your
tickets from the president of the New York Parents of Blind Children
Division, Jim Jonas. Jim will be handing out the tickets. These tickets are
a nice discount at a group rate, $20 VS $59. Feel free to bring your blind
child's siblings, or a school friend or two, blind or sighted. We will be
easy to spot as Jim and several of our members will be wearing our NFB
Rochester t-shirts. Please try to be on-time, however, if you arrive late,
please call (585) 739-6473 to arrange to meet up and collect your tickets.

Darian Lake has a policy allowing for a group including one or more people
with special needs to access all or most of the rides through the exit which
can be helpful if you are in a group with your blind child, and one of their
friends, and a white cane, and more. The policy changes a little bit every
year in terms of the implementation, but it always exists in some way,
shape, or form, and all you need to do is visit guest services after
entering the park. We can advise on this if you have additional questions.

If your blind child has never been to an amusement park before and or you
have questions regarding how blind people can best access the various rides,
please reach out to Jim Jonas (585) 472-2433 or gjonas817 at gmail.com
<mailto:gjonas817 at gmail.com> . Jim is the president of NYPBC and the sighted
father of two blind children, ages 5 and 11 who participate in the Cub and
Boy Scouts respectively, love rock climbing, roller coasters and other wild
and fun activities. Jim is also the sighted husband of a blind wife,, with
whom he went parasailing, and white water rafting on their honeymoon. Jim
certainly believes in and holds high expectations for blind people and lives
these expectations every day.