[New-York-News] An Interesting Research Study

Mike Robinson president at nfbny.org
Tue Feb 4 17:09:32 UTC 2020

Hello!

I'm a member of a robotics team called Virus. We participate in a
competition called FLL(short for First Lego League). Our team is researching
the accessibility of buildings for blind people in cities. The problem we
are trying to solve is finding doors and other important places to move
around in and access buildings. We want to make moving around the city
easier for blind people so they have an easier time travelling, exercising
and doing everyday business. We know that currently there are many solutions
like google maps that guide the blind to the building, but don't guide them
directly to the door. A bigger problem arises when a building has multiple
doors. If that happens, the blind may enter the wrong door because of the
lack of guidance. Our solution is to put tiny computer chips inside of the
white canes that would make a sound or rumble when it gets close to another
chip in the door or the tactile pavement that blind people already orient
themselves by. To advance our solution, we need to get feedback from a large
group of blind people for our research to be as accurate as possible. We
made a query, and to help us improve our solution, please take it and share
it with any blind people you know. The link is:
https://forms.gle/8N2KYT6m76hKWTxt5 Thank you very much in advance.

Have a good day

Mike Robinson, President

National Federation of the Blind of New York State, Inc.

2175 Sheridan Drive

Buffalo, New York 14223

716-222-3632

716-222-3NFB

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."