[New-York-News] Starting now: request video descriptions for our upcoming YouDescribe-athon!

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Tue Sep 15 16:15:33 UTC 2020

This Thursday at noon, our library's tech team and Great Build volunteers from Verizon Media are doing a describe-athon via Youdescribe. The VM team will discover how description creates access to spatial information, learn how to use the platform, and receive mentorship and guidance from our tech team about effective description practices.
If you'd like to lend your creativity and voice to creating more accessible videos, check out the Youdescribe support pages, and stay tuned: we'll make a recording of the Great Build training available later this month.
If you'd like to request videos to be described, follow the directions in the link below: or, drop your requests here in the comments, email them to chanceyfleet at nypl.org or use the #Youdescribe hashtag on Twitter: we'll be minding it.
You can describe or request any video you like, but a few genres where description is vital include DIY, crafting and cooking; electronics, coding and maker culture; art and architecture; short films; music videos and performance art.
You'll find a link to the FAQ for viewers at the end of this post  - check the linked support pages to find resources for describers). Youdescribe is also an iOS app where you'll find described videos, a wishlist and a mobile way to do your own descriptions.

https://youdescribe.org/support/viewers

Life is short and dictation is faster — please pardon any errors.
Chancey Fleet

Assistive Tech Coordinator

Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library — New York Public Library

Call or text: 347.632.8383