[New-York-News] Research Project at The University of Chicago

Uma Balachandran umab at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 22 13:27:16 UTC 2021

Hi all,

My name is Uma and I'm a student at The University of Chicago. I was given
your contact information by Mr. Mike Robinson, the NFB New York State
Affiliate President.

I am conducting a research study about the obstacles that visually impaired
adults face when accessing healthcare. By joining me in this study, you
would have a voice in advocating for improvements to healthcare
access. Your participation will take approximately three hours total and
you will be provided with $50 of compensation upon completion of the study.

Below are the details of the study. If you're interested in participating
or would like to learn more about this study, please contact me at
umab at uchicago.edu or (646) 320-7641. I would really appreciate your help.

Best,
Uma Balachandran
(646) 320-7641 | umab at uchicago.edu

*Details of the Research*

Have you encountered obstacles when visiting a healthcare provider? You may
be eligible for a paid two-month study through the University of Chicago on
access to healthcare for visually impaired adults.

You may qualify if you:

·      Are 18 years and up

·      Are legally blind

·      Will be visiting a healthcare provider in the next 2 months

Participation involves:

·      Answering questions about your visual impairment and access to
healthcare

·      Taking photographs (i.e., through Voice Over technology or a
disposable camera provided to you by the research team) of obstacles you
encounter during a visit to a healthcare provider

·      Participating in an individual interview or a focused group
discussion with other study participants

Participants will be provided with $50 of compensation upon completion of
the study.

*Study Number: *e.g., IRB20-1273

*Study Title: *Photovoice: Access to Healthcare for Visually Impaired
Adults in New York

*Researcher(s): *Sorcha Brophy, Uma Balachandran