[New-York-News] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Legislative Alert 9/15/2021

Justin Young jty727 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 20:21:10 UTC 2021

Hi All,

Hoping this message finds you well. The following Legislative alert was sent
out yesterday afternoon by John Pare, Executive Director of Advocacy &
Policy at the NFB. The idea of the below legislative action is for us to
urge our U.S. Senators to co-sponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act
(S.212). By building up the list of co-sponsors, we will show the Senate
there is greater support for the bill. We want to ensure this legislation
gets included in the Senate reconciliation package currently under
consideration. As indicated in John's email, the House reconciliation
package has included the Access Technology Affordability Act, but the Senate
has yet to do so. Senator Gillibrand is a co-sponsor of the bill, but Senate
Majority Leader Schumer is not currently a co-sponsor.

Since Schumer is the Majority Leader and more often than not, his staff says
because of him being Majority Leader he doesn't co-sponsor legislation, John
has recommended our ask should be modified slightly. Instead of asking him
to co-sponsor S.212, we will be requesting he ensure the provisions of the
Access Technology Affordability act are included in the Senate
reconciliation package. So John's suggested script is pasted below with this
edit for you to use when emailing or calling the office:

"Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME], and I live in [CITY, STATE]. I would like
Senate Majority Leader Schumer to ensure the provisions of the Access
Technology Affordability Act, S. 212 will be included in the Senate
reconciliation package. This legislation removes an employment barrier
commonly experienced by blind Americans who cannot afford the high cost of
access technology by creating a refundable tax credit in the amount of
$2,000 to offset the cost of this technology. Thank you (your name)."

It has been also suggested we contact Senate Majority Leader Schumer's
legislative staffer who deals with taxation legislation and their contact
information is below:

Anna Rennie

anna_taylor at schumer.senate.gov <mailto:anna_taylor at schumer.senate.gov>

202-224-6542

Thanks,

Dr. Justin T. Young, Ed.D

Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind of New York State.

Vice President, National Federation of the Blind of New York State,
Rochester Chapter.