[NFB-Arkansas] Learn about the Eclipse Soundscapes Project on January 8

Cindy Scott-Huisman crsh at att.net
Tue Jan 2 21:36:57 UTC 2024

National Federation of the Blind of Arkansas is hosting a brief, virtual presentation for those who are interested in learning more about the Eclipse Soundscapes Project. Join us at 7:00 pm, CST on Monday, January 8, 2024 via Zoom (please request link) or call on the At Large Chapter conference number, 1-605-313-5566;;2772898#
Find out how you can participate!
We'll also try to leave some time for any questions folks might have.

The Eclipse Soundscapes Project is a NASA-funded participatory science project that is exploring how solar eclipses impact life on Earth. Eclipses are usually thought of as a visual phenomenon, but some evidence suggests that the environmental changes brought on by an eclipse may result in changes in sound, temperature, and more. Therefore, eclipses can be experienced in a multisensory manner!

We are seeking participants to join us as Data Collectors and Observers for the April 8, 2024 total eclipse, which will happen over most of Arkansas.
Data Collectors use an AudioMoth device to record potential changes in sound data before, during, and after the eclipse.
Observers use all of the senses available to them to take written notes about observations about what they heard, felt, or saw during the eclipse.
Eclipse Soundscapes was created with accessibility in mind and a special focus on the inclusion of people who are blind or low vision. If you are interested in astronomy, ecology, or other STEM topics, we'd love for you to join us!

The deadline to apply to be a part of this project is January 31, 2024.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Cindy Scott-Huisman

Life is short and dictation is faster — please pardon any errors.