[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Braille transcribers and perkins braillers

Josh Kennedy joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 13:20:54 UTC 2019

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but when you take the transcriber certification course, you have to write a 35-page manuscript using a perkins brailler or a slate. So I am guessing that braille transcribers still use perkins braillers for some stuff?
My next question is do you have to be a sighted person in order to be a braille transcriber? Or can totally blind people also be braille transcribers for certain material these days and either have their own transcribing business, or work for a company transcribing materials?

Josh

Sent from my iPod