[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Hebrew Braille and Orbit

Buffa Hanse buffa.hanse at dbvi.virginia.gov
Wed Jul 24 14:31:51 UTC 2019

 Hebrew Braille and Orbit

Hi guys,

Glad to see Foreign language discussion; Hebrew, indeed, does not use
contractions, and as far as I know Spanish does not with the exception of
accented letters. If one is a native speaker of Hebrew, one would not need
vowels; so the words themselves are just consonants. However, if like me an
old person, one learned Hebrew Braille as an adult (I’m self-taught) vowels
are needed, at least at first. So the structure of the language may
influence the choices of contractions or not. French Braille, for example,
is more contracted than English.

Now for my question: If I use an Orbit, which I teach with and am
considering buying for myself, and put a vocalized Braille table in the
Orbit, Can I also read unvocalized Hebrew such a s  in Newspapers?  Hope we
are back to a Digest form rather than attachments and hope this posts ok. I
don’t think I’ve done attachments for a list before: a New adventure.

Thanks

Batya-Miryam (aka Buffa) Hanse