[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Electric Perkins brailler comments

Josh Kennedy joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 15:47:19 UTC 2020

Hi,

I was able to buy a used electric Perkins Brailer about two or three months ago. I had to send it back to Perkins to have it refurbished and made like a new electric brailler oiled, cleaned, dots adjusted for better braille clarity.
I really like the electric Perkins Brailer better than my other standard non-electrical Perkins Brailer. I can write braille faster with it, although it is a good bit louder than my standard brailler. It will also braille on anything from lightweight paper up to plastic labels and dymo tape with the correct accessory. But I really like the fact that I can braille faster with it and it doesn't take as much effort. and even though my hands worked perfectly fine, I still really like the fact that I can braille a lot faster with it and that it is easier to write braille with. So to that end, if you want some thing which will braille wide paper, and will let you braille faster than a standard brailler, and is quite affordable, the electric Perkins brailler may be what you want. I myself really like it, and I am glad I sold my standard brailler to somebody who could use it, and then purchased a used electric brailler, I then sent it to Perkins and had it refurbished for an extra 100 I sent it back and had it refurbished for $178 and that included shipping.
I also like that it is loud like a computer embosser. And when you write with it, it sounds a little like a computer embosser. It works very well, I highly recommend the electric Perkins braillers. it also has a power cable which is similar to that used by computer embossers. and the on off switch on the side reminds me of the rocker switch that used to be on my old braille blazer embosser. I also find that I make less mistakes with the electric Perkins Brailer probably because it doesn't take as much effort to write braille. And I get more consistent quality dots, again because of having to use less effort and because the electric solenoids activate the mechanical brailler parts and are responsible for doing the embossing and activating the cell  spacer mechanism.
if you have any comments on this review or if you would like an audio demonstration or sample of the electric Perkins brailler. Please email me off list atjoshknnd1982 at gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone