[NFB-Braille-Discussion] UEB indicators

Brown, Debbie dabro at loc.gov
Mon Aug 30 10:42:26 UTC 2021

About Jen's confusion about the bold indicator:  One of the basic concepts of UEB is that each braille sign is composed of a root plus possibly one or more prefixes.  Prefixes are all of the righthand characters (the octave sings if you are a braille music user) plus the number indicator (dots 3456).  By this rule, the final character could not be dot 5.  All of the typeform indicators work the same way, with dot 2 for word indicators, dots 23 for letter indicators, and dots 2356 for passage indicators.  The way I keep them straight is that dots 45 is the bold indicator (it looks a little like "b" for "bold"); dots 46 is italic (like the old braille italic sign); dots 456 is underline (like the old computer braille code underscore indicator).

Debbie Brown