[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Slate and Stylus

kg 6sxy (kg6sxy) kg6sxy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 10:01:35 UTC 2021

Hello Steve,

So far the easiest tool I've found to braille with is a Fiskars Dual Tip Embossing Stylus because of the spongy barrel:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YZ413I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YZ413I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

I also found these clear label protectors they use for books a lot easier to use than plastic label tape and it appears to hold the embossed braille pretty well:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081LM97P5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081LM97P5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

I've been experimenting with different weights of paper too.  I've never used official Braille Paper. I've tried post-it notes which fade pretty quickly.  I have some light card stock index cards that have been laying around for ages that work pretty well.  Junk mail is always in abundance and a lot of them work well when cut down to pocket size.  I used to use my junk mail for origami.  There's always way too much junk mail.

I've seen a few of the ready-made labeling tools but I didn't like the limitations unless you are willing to pay $800 for an electronic one with a Perkins keyboard so you can use contracted braille.

I've made voice recordings at times but they are not always the most reliable.  I've returned home to find that the recording was unintelligible because of the background noise so I feel more comfortable with a physical note that I can quickly verify before the information evaporates into the ether.

All this experimenting is definitely giving me a lot more practice with a slate and stylus which is great.

Has anyone had any trouble getting through TSA with a slate and stylus?

Take care,
Tony