[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Slate and Stylus

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Wed Jun 9 03:34:37 UTC 2021

Tony,

It sounds like you are already experimenting with different styli, and that is great.  I have a stylus with a broader flatter top that I find useful, but I have no idea where I got it.

Another thing that you might find helpful, though, is to use a lighter weight braille paper,  for writing quick notes, the use of the normal weight braille paper isn't that essential.  In a pinch, I have put two sheets of printer paper together to give more weight, but even one sheet of printer paper will hold dots for a while and work fine for temporary notes.  If you use printer paper, you may notice that more dots break when embossing them, but they are still readable.

I would add my concern to that of others regarding sharpening a stylus.  It can result in more broken dots, but obviously some have tried it and been happy with the results.

I have used a slate and stylus a lot in my life but readily admit I use it less now.  However, I have found it to be the most reliable and most flexible way to write on labeling tape.

Best regards,

Steve