[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Slate and Stylus

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 21:32:48 UTC 2021

People have usually heard the word backwards before they ever get their hands on a slate, and I just tell them to erase it from their Braille vocabulary. Reading starts from the left, writing from the wright. Progression is the same through the words, lines, and pages. I often have them start with a row of c's, then A's, B's, then L's, G's, and X's. By that time students have a little control of their styluses. Sometimes a board slate is better if you can find one with children who have trouble lining up the next position down the page. If they get comfortable with removing the paper and putting it back in so they can look at what they are writing, that sometimes also helps them understand the progression emotionally and not have to analize it any more. Sighted people who learn Braille often like to turn a page with the dots down and copy the letters or symbols, and that can also help with the progression. As you would expect each student puts his or her own spin on what is happening, but most get past the awkwardness pretty fast. The more they write, the quicker it happens. Contrary to popular belief, I have found that the younger they begin, the better, as long as pressing through the paper is not too hard for them.