[NFB-Braille-Discussion] My First Post on CAPB List. Unified English Braille (UEB)

Jen spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 18 22:25:24 UTC 2021

Hello everyone:

I have been totally blind from birth. I was fortunate to receive competent
braille instruction in kindergarten. I was on the NAPUB list before NAPUB
became the Committee for the Advancement and Promotion of Braille.

I would like to know your personal opinions of UEB. Personally, as a
lifelong reader of English Braille, American Edition (EBAE), I can't stand
UEB. I understand why the change was made, but I think UEB wasn't the best
way to change braille. I think UEB will make it harder for braille learners,
not easier. I am also disappointed computer braille isn't used anymore
because e-mail address and other computer-related terms are ambiguous now in
contracted braille. I think the nine contractions BANA took away should be
reinstated. I also think the new symbols, like for parentheses and accent
marks, should be changed back to EBAE symbols. Even if the new symbols are,
apparently, closer to print (I've never read print so wouldn't know),
they're more cumbersome.