[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Braille Reading Speed

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 15 16:21:57 UTC 2021

There's been a lot of recent research on braille reading by researchers who
use special equipment to track finger motions.  As far as I know, it hasn't
yet led to a consensus on advice for teaching or learning to read braille.
But one thing I've seen consistently is that the researchers are having
trouble finding fast braille readers to test as the average reading speed
seems to have declined over the years.  We can all speculate as to the
reasons but I don't know of any research addressing this issue directly.

One researcher mentioned that the fastest speeds she'd found, 200 wpm or so,
was among elderly Irish nuns.  (Sorry but can't locate the reference.)

Susan J.