[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Reading Speed Increases

Jody ianuzzi thunderwalker321 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 16:22:57 UTC 2023

Many years ago I once heard the Director of special education state that if a child can read one letter at a time on a CCTV then they don’t have to learn braille

JODY

To Boldly Go  🖖🏻

thunderwalker321 at gmail.com

"What's within you is stronger than what's in your way."  NO BARRIERS  Erik Weihenmayer

> [...]
>> large print books with the magnifier in my hand and finally adding reading
>> magnification glasses to that mix. I gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome
>> from
>> using the magnifier on long bus rides to work in the mornings. I gave
>> myself
>> a neck problem from trying to put my eyes closer to file drawers and
>> computer desktop monitors to see them.  It was such a relief, like you
>> described, when I finally learned braille.  Now I read braille between 40
>> 90 words a minute, depending on how focused and alert I am.
>>
>> I once heard Jerry Whittle and Fred Schroeder say that it's difficult for
>> people learning braille when "older" to break 100 words a minute. I keep
>> pushing myself, but never cracked 100. But I'm happy if I can consistently
>> read at 80 words a minute. They say you can read a speech and sound natural
>> if you can read at 150. Sighted people who graduate high school and go to
>> college read at 200 to 250 words a minute. Braille readers who learn when
>> young can get up to 400 and above!
>>
>> The teachers of blind kids , many sighted,  are often very short sighted.
>> They don't realize how reading enlarged print brings on headaches and eye
>> strain and very very slow reading speeds.
>> I used to talk with parents of blind kids about braille. And if I found out
>> their kids were reading magnified print and not braille I suggested that
>> they have teachers measure their reading speed and not compare the results
>> with their "peers" but with the average kid at their grade level (that is
>> sighted peers as opposed to partially blind peers). The parents were always
>> shocked. But the teachers and initially the parents did not want their
>> partially blind  kids to look "blind" by reading braille. But the teachers
>> never told parents the truth and what the research says - that blind people
>> who have satisfying well paid jobs are most likely to use braille on a
>> daily
>> basis.
>>
>> I am retired now, but I still talk to anyone I can about this short
>> sightedness in Hawaii public school system because I think it's a tragedy.
>> Many partially blind kids I have worked with after graduating high school
>> hate reading and they do not read for pleasure ever. And I understand why.
>>
>> So I encourage you to read as much as you can. You can get magazines from
>> NLS in braille. While NLS may have much more audio, I have been able to
>> keep
>> myself supplied in braille reading material.
>> Also, the NFB at NFB.org can send you braille copies of their publications
>> like the Braille Monitor, every month. It would take me more than a month
>> get through  them so they piled up in my dining room-lol.
>>
>> The thing about reading hard copy braille is that it's the best way to
>> practice techniques for reading speed. But I'm sure you could also do it on
>> a braille electronic display, although it might take longer.

>>> C%7C%7C&sdata=hLHWsszMn%2BYExrNoKTdYQVWgSDfu%2FMO4A74wQ%2F%2Fn8Z4%3D&r
>>> eserved=0