[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Reading Speed Increases

marianne at denningweb.com marianne at denningweb.com
Sat Mar 18 19:36:44 UTC 2023

The problem begins with ophthalmologists when the child is first diagnosed with a progressive eye condition or identified as legally blind. They don't want to hurt the parents so they don't talk about other services that are available. It also has to do, in part, to the idea that only medical service providers can help a child with a medical condition. Since most professionals in the blindness fields are not in the medical fields the doctors don't make the referrals. We may need to begin by talking with the ophthalmologists in training.

If you want to know my background, I have worked as a rehabilitation teacher and a teacher of students who are visually impaired. I spent more than 20 years in the field of blindness and have witnessed all of the things I have talked about. Not only that, but the most important thing is that I am blind so have lived the experience. I believe my lived experience is more important than all of the professional training I have received. The lived experiences of all of us is absolutely critical.