[NFB-Braille-Discussion] reading materials for teaching braille on the NLS Ereader

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 02:16:17 UTC 2023

I found that a lot more people think they cannot feel Braille than actually can't. If they really need jumbo, about all they will be reading is what they write themves. I used to have some pages with lines of C's, G's, L's, etc. Then I would add some lines of some words like ace, ax, gag, babe and other carefully chosen words. If people could feel these types of words, often if they would relax and not rub, they would be astonished at what else they could feel. Just some food for thought and experimentation. I did have one student who could only feel dots on plastic pages by using his thumb nail. He was determined to learn enough to keep his check register and a few phone numbers, and he did it, too. I remember some great students!
Best,
Ramona