[Nfb-cars] Gaining experience with driving

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Mon Jul 13 01:26:32 UTC 2009

In the whole blind driving discussion people are often comparing
apples and oranges, and tend to view things through their narrow
perspective.  There is a big difference between the military, and non
military.  There are also big differences between guidance, and blind
persons driving independently among sighted drivers.

I think it is likely that in the relatively near future in some areas
cars will be guided by the highway, buried cables, radio waves, infra
red, or something else.  It may even be possible to get in a car,
punch in an address, and have the car drive you there -- but all the
other cars on the road, would be the same.  Is it likely that using
alternative inputs, sound etc., a blind person would be driving
freely on a public road, unassisted, with sighted drivers, I don't
think so, not at least for a long time.

People thend to have a view of how things will be, then say a blind
person could or couldn't do that, and then go out and argue with
everybody else.  However, there is no way to know what the other
person's view is.

Dave