[Nfb-cars] Gaining experience with driving

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 14 03:33:01 UTC 2009

Dear Brian,

Sorry, but you missed it completely.
The vehicles I am talking about will be able to function, without a human at
the wheel in all kinds of weather and in all traffic conditions and can
react quicker than any human that ever lived.
I was also a licensed driver of over 20 years and I was legally blind two
years before I ever got behind the wheel.
I got my first license in Jan. of 1965 and drove until October 16, 1985.  I
got licenses twice in Florida and once in California in that time period.
So I know, first hand, what it takes to drive on the street and even cars on
the track.  I raced my 1959 VW Sedan with a turbo-charged Corvair engine in
it for some two years.  It was street legal and could turn the 1/4 mile in 9
seconds flat at 154 MPH and I still drove it to college each day.
Cars were my hobby for years and at one time I owned some 8 cars, mostly
classic and muscle cars which included a '56 T-Bird and a '69 Hemi Coda with
a 426 Hemi.
As for the reference to the military vehicles, there is a company right here
in Boca Raton that has developed a sensor system for Army two and a half ton
trucks, once featured on CNN, that one soldier/driver can program to
navigate over paved and un-paved roads and even across open country or an
urban setting, with other vehicles.
The sensors will let the truck drive , without lights, in total darkness and
in all weather conditions.
The sensors can even detect the edges of a un-paved road covered under 3
feet of snow or hidden from view by smoke, fog, rain or blowing snow.
The sensor can detect vehicles approaching and keep the truck on its side of
the road for passing.  It can even detect vehicles coming in from the side
and adjust its actions to avoid or stop the truck as needed by the
situation.
The driver/programmer can ride along and monitor the vehicle or up to 30
other so equipped vehicles in a convoy.  The driver/programmer can guide any
and all of the vehicles from any vehicle in the convoy and make changes to
them or their routing as he wishes.
This will make them, the driver/programmer, safer from attacks.  He can even
have a plan , in case of an attack, that would send all of the vehicles off
in different directions, by different routes, to save them and make it
harder for an enemy to knock them out of action and ensure that most of the
convoy would get through on its re-supply mission, which is one of the most
dangerous missions the Army now has in IRAQ.
A computer can make the decisions faster and react quicker than any human
being.  They do just what they are programmed to do, without fear, without
emotions, hesitation and based on the facts.
Do I think that blind people will one day drive themselves?  Yes and NO.  I
do not personally see blind people driving  cars as we do today, but I do
see blind people managing and programming their own cars to drive them where
they want to go in the future.  I see the human being taken more out of the
loop as time goes by because they are the most dangerous element in the
situation.
People like to take risk and break rules and computers don't.
The insurance companies will likely be very much in favor of this as it will
reduce claims and lawsuits.
There will always be accidents, but reducing the human factor will be the
driving force so to speak.
It will take time to work out the kinks, but it will happen and sooner than
you think.
GM and Ford and Mercedes-Bends are already testing proto-types of "street
Ready" vehicles that are autonomist.
It will take an adjustment, by the Public, to get used to these new vehicles
just as it did when people used to use a horse and wagon had to get used to
the "horseless carriages in the beginning of the last century.  It will take
a mental adjustment.
Heck, most large airliners today are able to taxi, take-off, fly to a
destination, land and taxi in without a pilot at the controls.  The Public
just is not ready for that to happen yet just as they are not ready to give
up control of their cars yet, but it will happen.
I likely have not changed your mind, but I am stating facts, you and I will
just have to wait and see as time passes to see what shakes out.

David Evans, NFBF