[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:03:38 UTC 2009

John,
I know it is taking me time to respond to some of your interesting remarks.
Yes, I agree that a vast majority of people do find sign language
interesting. Even babies as young as several months have observed me signing
and curiously try to imitate. Like my 1-year old nephew, who would often
imitate others who fingerspell with me. Some strangers even were so shocked
that someone can communicate by tactile to the point that they were so eager
to try the thing themselves. This is especially true among foreigners who
never met a deaf person in their lives (in fact, the first time I actually
met a deaf person was in junior school, so I have far less influence of the
Deaf culture than you, and when I saw someone sign I thought it was very
fascinating). But none in my family communicates with me via sign without
alternating between some signing and typing.
I'd want to clarify, John, that in general, I do not try to even encourage
anyone, even people in my family, to learn sign language. When I said I
tried to do that, it was a deliberate and conscious act to learn about
patterns and responses to sign language across cultures.
How do you communicate primarily? It depends on the situation for sure, but
don't you like a multi-mode communication approach where you communicate not
on how you were rasied but based on the context/situation? I often alternate
between many modes at once (voice, typing, tactile sign, fingerspelling,
etc). Does that sound crazy? For me it just broadens my horizon...