[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:13:35 UTC 2009

John, communication mode is absolutely the way to determine the best
arrangement for providing a viable means ofcommunication (both receptive and
expressive). But I don't think that is always the case in every situation,
based on my own experience as an assistive tech trainer. I often look at
communication mode, just like you, and in about 95% of the time it works.
But some will say they prefer tactile sign language interpreters, but then
once they get to the place and find the, say, lighting in the room
sufficient for their vision to be able to discard the interpreter and use
their vision. Perhaps it is simply a changing of one's mind, but this is a
pattern I have noticed. Also, I agree that relying on degree of vision
loss/hearing loss is an absurd idea. For example, someone might say they are
deaf (but it is only as a means of social identity) but actually turn out to
be hard of hearing. This particular example had literally happened between
me and one of the people I once tutored at the age of 18.