[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Tue Jun 9 06:22:33 UTC 2009

Haben:

No, I am not skeptical of deaf/hearing relationships at all.  If they can
communicate with each other smoothly, as you put it, and they also have a
trusting, confident, and respectful relationship, that's very cool.  Even
most hearing/hearing couples have separate circles of friends--the woman may
get together with her lady friends weekly at a coffee shop or for book club
and the man may be in a bowling league, for an example.  Couples have
different jobs, interests, etc. and consequently they naturally have
different sets of friends.  Nothing unusual about that.

I've known many intercultural couples to travel separately if both go to an
event that is more oriented toward one culture.  My friend Peggy, who is
Deaf, and her husband, Bill, who is hearing, often show up together for Deaf
events, but Bill tends to leave early while Peggy stays all night chatting
nonstop.  When Peggy goes to Bill's family stuff, she tends to leave early.
We are always happy to have Bill and it is nice chatting with him while he's
there, but we understand that he is not leaving because he dislikes us.  We
know it's just a cultural thing.  Bill'[s family are good with communicating
with her and they have a good time, but they know that it's not the same
thing as Peggy being "at home" so they are okay with her leaving after the
meal while Bill lingers for a few more hours.  That's a great example of a
healthy relationship.

John