[nfb-db] phone calls on the go

Yirmiyah yfraynd5740 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 03:54:49 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I was visually impaired before I became hard of hearing, so I guess
that's a big influence on my way of looking at this.  The only calls I
would make when I'm out are business calls, for instance to call
paratransit if they're late, or to call an office to ask for
directions if I'm having trouble finding it.  For that type of thing,
the phone is the only way to reach people.

One idea might be to use a Smartphone with Mobile Speak and a braille
display, and use relay service through instant messaging.  Do other
people do this?  Do you like it?  I think it would be a good option,
but it's a very expensive idea to try as an experiment.  Another
option might be to use instant message relay with a BrailleNote and a
cell phone, once the new version of Keysoft comes out; it will support
Google Talk, and I think Hamilton Relay can be reached through Google
Talk.

I think I'm approaching this problem as a person who used to be able
to do a lot through hearing.  I am certainly open to other approaches
and ways of thinking.  Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Jeremy