[nfb-db] phone calls on the go

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 00:19:21 UTC 2009

The Deaf-Blind Communicator can provide a more viable solution to your
needs. There are also other products that you can combine with a Braille
display to obtain Bluetooth-based connection so that you can obtain text
messaging. For telephone calls on the go, we currently do not have any
effective means of making a telephone call. The BrailleNote does provide
instant messaging and I believe Google Talk supports NexTalk or some other
relay services, so when you are able to obtain data connection to the
Internet (either via a cell phone if you use the BrailleNote while you are
on the move, or wireless cards utilizing cell data services if you use other
products that support such a function). If you travel with a laptop, you can
also obtain data-based connection to the Internet and make a call via
Internet relay from virtually anywhere. Please keep in mind that most
paratransit services do not utilize text message services, though you can
request such an arrangement to be made.
Mussie