[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 00:43:23 UTC 2009

John,
A lot of the time I am around people who have promised to learn sign
language but never actually do in the end. They need the motivation to do
so; setting an obligation for them to learn is like telling your
foreign-born wife who may not be fluent in English to learn more as a
preclude to "good relationship". My girlfriend's parents know absolutely no
sign language except a few signs for basic things, and 95% of the time
communication is done with them fingerspelling and me voicing. Personally,
forcing people to learn sign language as a condition for developing a
relationship is very counterproductive, because the nonsigner simply often
feels no responsibility because his communication mode is "normal" in
his/her mind; the same may be true for someone who is deaf/hard of hearing,
and each must find ways to enhance communication without setting conditions.
I fully respect you, John, but I had trouble with your approach with others,
and that approach simply may reflect personality styles and cultural
expectations that vary.
I have a lot of deaf-blind and deaf friends whose parents don't know sign
language, and this is really unfortunate and makes communication
choppy/ineffective. But forcing relatives to learn is like pushing them to
the edge and risking alienating them. Finding other ways to communicate
motivates them to learn sign language. A lot of the time I meet people they
tell me they want to learn sign language but don't have the energy and time
because they grew up hearing.