[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:50:04 UTC 2009

We are having a meeting of minds, Haben, on the issue of diversity. I have
tried to push some of my friends to learn sign language in order to be able
to effectively communicate with me, making little effort on my part to
encourage and motivate them, but that approach more often than not
backfires. For instance, one of my friends bristled at the perceived "social
pressure" to adapt to/learn something new for which it is me who must adapt
by virtue of my limitations. In effect, if I press friends or even family
members hard enough to learn sign language, I am turning them off. Allowing
them the opportunity/time to get motivated and learn is the best approach
psychologically.
But as you said, it is a choice that John is making, and it is his choice
alone that nobody has the right to insist something else. What works for
him, works for him. There just doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way of
communicating. And as I said before, much of my interaction with people
doesn't depend on sign language but on written communication. Personally, I
would love for people to learn sign language, but for me variety is the
spice of life. By initially communicating with people however is easier for
BOTH of us, I motivate them to learn sign language, but I also feel it
broadens my horizon if I didn't set conditions and respected people's
diverse styles of communication.
Again, I take off my hat to John for standing for his personal values.
Mussie