[nfb-db] Communication Options and Technology

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Fri May 15 03:56:10 UTC 2009

Hi there,
I'm contemplating all my options for communicating with the public in
such places as restaurants, offices, etc. I'm a braille reader with
significant hearing loss and very good speech. I am familiar with the
Screen Braille Communicator, but I find it uncomfortable to use.
Firstly, the braille display is tiny, and secondly the QWERTY keyboard
for the other person is awkward to type on. My PAC Mate has a much nicer
QWERTY keyboard, so I've contemplated using my PAC Mate to communicate
with the public. The problem with the PAC Mate is that the braille
display faces the person typing. Hence, I would not be able to read what
the person writes until after they have finished, and then the PAC Mate
would need to be pushed back across the table to me. The ideal setup for
me would be for the PAC Mate's braille display to wirelessly receive
information from the main body of the PAC Mate. That way, someone could
type on the PAC Mate to me while I'm facing them on the other side of
the table reading what they are saying on the PAC Mate's braille
display. Now, is this at all possible with the PAC Mate? The ALVA BC640,
which I also have, has built-in bluetooth functionality. Would the PAC
Mate be able to connect with an ALVA BC640 to get it to do what I want?

All ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Haben