[nfb-db] Communication Options and Technology

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Fri May 15 19:33:40 UTC 2009

Haben:

Macalester College isn't in downtown St. Paul, but I know the area.  Next
time you visit Minnesota, let me know and I'd be glad to give you a tour of
BOTH skyway systems, St. Paul and Minneapolis.

Another reason I have various devices here at my dispoal is because
Minnesota offers a consumer-directed service for DB people.  You get seven
thousand seven hundred dollars each year.  Not in your name, but a third
party will dispense the money for you.  You're in full charge of this money
and you can use it for any reason related to your DBness.  You can hire your
own SSPs and interpreters, decide the rates, buy equipment, get training in
something, buy supplies and goods such as batteries, Braille paper, canes,
whatever.

This program is great for closing the gaps in between the great services
that already exist.  If I go to school, of course the school has to
accommodate me.  But if I go to a funeral, say, it's a different situation.
Or I want to go to the homecoming football game at my alma mater--nobody is
really responsible for providing SSPs or interpreters in those situations,
right?  That's where I can turn to this fund.

Understand that we already have two other sources of SSP services in the
state, and since I use both, and since I don't need that many hours, I tend
to use this fund mostly for equipment and goods.  So I get new stuff
regularly.  At one time, I had five Braille displays of different kinds.
But now I'm down to two plus the SBC.

I know that in many states, the VR is the only place to go.  Not here.  VR
is just one of many resources.  This is great for the DB here whose cases
are closed or who don't want to work.  They still can get computers and
stuff anyway.  I love it!

John