[nfb-db] new person

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 04:41:04 UTC 2012

Hi y'all,

I've been on this list for a while, and am excited to see some activity.
My name is Rox.  I live in New Orleans, La.  I'm Deafblind.
I was born blind, but lost my hearing due to a mold allergy after
Hurricane Katrina and the failure of the federal levees in New Orleans
in 2006.  There was a great deal of mold in the city and upon my
return, it was only six weeks until my hearing was mostly gone.

I can benefit from a hearing aid in my left ear, but my right ear
doesn't work at all and is strictly for decoration. :)

I also have balance and vertigo problems from Meniere's Disease.  I
use American Sign Language in large meetings or in places where my
hearing aid won't be of any help.  This is in any place which is not
quiet and where I can't be face to face.  I also have Laveau, my guide/
hearing/mobility assistance dog and an in-home hearing and mobility
dog Mill'E.

Due to personal and cultural reason I am not considering a cochlear
implant at this time.

I'm active with local Deaf and Deafblind groups and sit on our state's
SSP advisory board.
For my job I work as a braille, technology, and ADL instructors for
blind and Deafblind adults.  I also own a small home business and work
as a dog trainer and herbalist serving canine clients and making aroma
therapy products.
   I was not at convention.  I'd like to go next year providing that
the NFB is providing interpreters for sessions.

Anyway, good to see some familiar names here and sorry for the novel.
Rox and the Kitchen Bitches:
Bristol, Mill'E, Laveau, Baylee,!

"Dance, even if you have to warn others to get out of the way first."
http://pawpower4me.blogspot.com
  pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: brissysgirl