[nfb-db] Social situations with normal people

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Thu Jul 26 17:05:30 UTC 2012

I get frustrated by those people who knew me growing up and assume I am
being rude to them when I don't say "Hi" to them after they have said
"Hi" to me. Do I always have to explain to people that I am not being
rude or trying to brush them off but that I honestly didn't hear them
because I am deaf and that I didn't see them because I am blind. How do
you go to social events where the majority are sighted and your the only
deaf-blind person and you can't make sense of the person your having a
conversation with because of all the other noises/conversions going on
in the room?

I feel very isolated from my peers because I cannot hear conversations
in a classroom when others are talking as well. Similarly family
gatherings do not have usual anticipation at going to these events has
diminished greatly due to my deaf-blindness.
This is a challenge for me when I go back to school. The University
offers me transcribers for my class but they write the "gist" of what is
said and often leave out important dates and names of authors. Also, I
do not receive this transcription in real time but within 24-36 hours
after the class has ended.
Unfortunately, when I go to conventions I have to rely on my FM system
and a digital recorder.
Has anyone else had problems problems in social situations.