[nfb-db] Social situations with normal people

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:10:05 UTC 2012

Hi janice.
I've had the same struggles as you have, and my social life has
suffered greatly. I've become an intravert because of this.
I understand also not being able to always hear or see someone when
they say hello to me, and wish that I could offer some suggestions as
to ways of dealing with this. But these are other people we're talking
about, people who have their own actions, thoughts, and assumptions.
All you can do is explain it to them and hope they understand. No
matter what audiological equipment you use, it's never going to be as
good as what would be considered normal hearing. The only way I've
found to deal with my extrovertedness, is to have small gatherings of
like 2 or 3 others, which makes it easier as long as you're not in a
noisey environment. But I fit in nowhere. I have a hard time with
speech and don't know enough sign language. I'm trying to learn sign
language now, but the politics and all the bs surrounding it is making
that difficult. So I just keep pushing on and do the best I can and
live with it. What other choice do I have?

Scott