[nfb-db] Crossing Streets?

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 02:18:45 UTC 2012

Carrie,

Your not the first with a hearing impairment to go to a NFB center. How
those other students did I am not sure. From what I have heard, the travel
was the hardest of all. I don't have any suggestions on how you would cross
the streets better. But as a person with a hearing impairment myself, no
normally hearing person, can know what we hear, the fear and uncertainty
that goes along with that, or can walk in our shoes. Its hard. If anyone
here has any good ideas please do share them. Please don't get me wrong,
when I say this next part. The NFB centers are awesome in their training.
The problem comes when a person, with a hearing impairment attends, they are
very not well equipped to train a person with both blindness and hearing
difficulties. From another friend of mine who attended LCB  quite a few
years ago, there was a young lady who had a severe hearing loss. But again
had trouble with travel. She left and I think was suppose to go to the HKC.
I might be wrong here. But when it comes to an NFB center it's the coined
training and that is it, any deviation from that causes problems. At one
point I looked into going to a training center, specifically an NFB center,
but because of my hearing impairment. I was not guaranteed that
accommodations could be made for that. I am a very independent person, who
uses a guide dog too, my cane skills are not what I would be going there
for. The program is to be there for all of the training, including cane
travel. I spoke to Al spooner, regarding this matter. Its really sad when a
person with a hearing impairment goes to an NFB center, and who can't have
accommodations made for that. Again I might be wrong, so I would like for
someone to prove me wrong.

Carrie, I do hope you find the information your looking for. Good luck!

Marsha