[nfb-db] Crossing Streets?

Alicia Richards alicianfb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 02:29:52 UTC 2012

Hello, all.  I rarely post to this list, as I am blind, but hearing.
However, I'd like to respond to  Kerri's message.  Please forgive the
upcoming lengthy message.

Kerri, I'm not quite sure what to suggest here.  I will continue to think
about it.  I personally feel that the LCB, like most blindness centers I've
known, has no idea how to handle a client who has a hearing impairment as
well as blindness.  I'm not saying LCB is a bad center.  I know it's our
best one, actually. You're right about that. I agree with them nine times
out of ten.  But I think they are wrong on this issue: that your travel
instructor is wrong in this case.  Seriously, your message makes me want to
take our Center's sleepshade policy, and apply it to hearing.  I'd love to
put an earplug in one of your instructor's ears, and see how well he/she
could distinguish traffic patterns.

First, I truly do not believe this is an  issue of your having a negative
attitude, or being too afraid.  Your message clearly shows you have a very
positive attitude, and I admire it.  You're ready and more than willing to
learn, and want to get the best out of your program.  Not all students do.
I don't think you're afraid of independent travel, but simply of street
crossings.  And I don't think it's you not trusting yourself.  I truly
believe it's about your hearing impairment, and you very naturally wanting
to be safe.  Your fear, in my opinion, is nothing more than inteligent
self-preservation, which any normal human would have.  I'm glad you've
consistently made the right decision about when to cross thus far, but it
sounds as if your hearing is not trustworthy enough to be counted on all the
time, and personally, that's a gamble I would not want to take.  Whether
parallel or perpendicular traffic is quiet or loud doesn't seem to be
relevant, if you're not able to tell which direction it is moving, through
no fault of your own, by the way.  From my bits of experience with those who
are hearing impaired and blind, it seems like the biggest mistake hearing
people make is to assume that hearing has to do with loud and quiet only.
We often don't factor in things like directionality.  I know I certainly
didn't until I started meeting people who were in situations similar to
yours.

I'm pretty sure this is not at all what you want to hear, but I'll say it
anyway.  Most blind and hearing impaired people I know use street-crossing
cards if they can't distinguish between perpendicular and parallel traffic.
It's a card that has writing on it that says you are blind and hearing
impaired, and need assistance to cross the street.  Yes, I know, on the
surface this would seem to go against our philosophy of independence, as
well as your desire to be so.  But, if you listen to Dr. Jernigan's speech,
"The Nature of Independence," he basically says that the most independence
is obtained by employing whatever alternative techniques you need to in
order to live and travel safely and effectively.  To me, you using your
limited hearing to try and distinguish between perpendicular and parallel
traffic is neither safe or effective, as your email shows.   I view a street
crossing card the same way I do a blind person using a white cane.  Many are
resistent at first.  But a white cane is needed for blind people to travel
safely and effectively.  For some blind and hearing impaired people, so is a
street crossing card.  It's simply another alternative technique. Again, I
say, I don't think you have a negative attitude or are too afraid.

This is where I think the deaf-blind division needs to help educate places,
especially our own training centers, in regards to people with both
blindness and hearing issues.  LCB is most likely to listen to fellow
Federationists, people they know share their positive philosophy of
blindness.  Cathy and Rox, if I remember correctly, you both live in
Louisiana, and I know you both have great attitudes and philosophy of
blindness.  Do either of you know anyone or have any connection to LCB?
Since you guys live in that state, do you think there's anything you could
do here?

Kerri, I will continue to think about this, but I really wanted to respond
and say that I don't think your problems here have anything to do with your
attitude or lack of self-confidence.

Alicia