[nfb-db] More Questions About Street Crossings

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 20:59:57 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone:

I have a few more questions about street crossings and getting assistance.

In my last message to this list a few months ago, I said I was a
student at the Louisiana Center for the blind and had been struggling
with using my hearing to cross some of the busier streets.
Well, after everything has been said and done, here is the situation.
It looks like there are streets that I can definitely use my hearing to cross.
However, there are streets (mainly streets that are busier) that I
won't be able to cross independently mostly because I only have
hearing in one ear and can not tell which street is moving.
So, here are my questions.
What methods do you all use for getting assistance across busier streets?
What are my options exactly when it comes to this?
Today, my travel instructor and I discussed ways for me to get
assistance. Because there really aren't a lot of sighted pedestrians
who walk the streets in Ruston, my instructor suggested using the
cards.
I really hate to use these cards though. It makes me sick to my
stomach to think about holding out a card saying I have hearing loss
and need help crossing the street.
Is there any other way besides these cards?
What is using them like? Are they effective and does using them give
you independence and freedom to travel that you otherwise wouldn't
have?
When drivers stop to assist you, are they usually the
Oh-let-me-help-this-poor-blind-person type or are they understanding?
How did you deal with all this emotionally? I hate hate hate the idea
of having to potentially use these cards.
I guess this sort of thing is also hard for me because I have
relatively good hearing in my left (good) ear. So, this has made me
feel my entire life like I have pretty good hearing. Now, all of a
sudden all these issues are coming up regarding my hearing, and
crossing streets and it's hard for me to deal with the fact that my
hearing really isn't that good unlike I have thought my entire life.
Travel is very important to me. I am really beginning to like it and
am doing extremely well at it. My street crossings are usually
perfectly straight. I am great about staying on the sidewalk and am
good about getting through parking lots. My mental mapping which has
been a problem is getting better. I've gotten to do a lot of things in
travel which has really built my confidence. For example, A few days
ago, my instructor and I went to the Louisiana Tech campus and walked
around. I had never been on the campus before but had to find several
buildings and then things inside the buildings and I had to do it
based on asking directions, following the directions, and exploring.
It went wonderfully! I loved it and am now excited about going to
college when I graduate from the center. I want to use my cane and
walk to my classes. I am now also walking home from classes.
Previously, I took the van but now I have to walk home like the rest
of the students. I don't walk by myself, but I still have to walk, try
to make the decision on crossing the streets, mental mapping, and
figuring out whether I am at the street or a parking lot/driveway. I
am saying all this because I really like travel and want to continue
to do it when I leave the center.
If I am going to have to get assistance on a lot of streets, will this
hinder my being able to travel with my cane, problem solve, mental
map, and all the things I am learning here?
Can a person with hearing loss be a good traveler and go anywhere
similarly to the way someone who is blind without hearing loss can and
learns to do here?
I want to continue to use these skills once I leave here and I guess
now I'm unsure because it looks like I am going to have to get
assistance crossing some streets and I am not used to this.
So far, I have just been traveling with either my instructor, or other
students and trying to make the best decision I can. But, I've been
asking my instructor a lot of questions because I will be graduating
from here in a few months.

Thanks so much! I am so glad to know I am not alone in this. Like
Kathy Miller says, I strongly believe through leadership, and
education, we can do anything through the power of the federation.
Even though this has been a very tough emotional adjustment for me,
and there have been some rough times, I am so happy I chose this
center and will be graduating from here. I am also so happy I have the
instructor I have. He/she is a huge mentor/role model to me and it has
been this person I have expressed many feelings and emotions with that
I would never talk to anybody else about because they would not
understand!

Thanks!
Kerri