[nfb-db] More Questions About Street Crossings

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 22:33:09 UTC 2012

Hi Kerri,
I know that it difficult to think that using cards might hinder your
independence. However, the primary question at intersections is "what
action(s) do I need to take to keep myself self? If this means that for
busier intersections you rely on sighted assistance via cards; then It
is ok because you will have reached you destination unscathed.
Alternately  you could look for different routes to your location that
minimize your encountering busy intersections.  It may take planning and
some thought. However, I have come to accept that as a deaf-blind (uses
hearing aides) individual there are things that we need assistance we. I
strive to be as independent as possible, provided either my safety or my
guide dog's is not at risk. Although I realize that different people
accept different levels of risk, but I choose to be cautious.

I do want to applaud all that you have learned at the Louisiana Center
and it sounds as if you have an excellent and supportive O&M trainer. I
hope you find the right combination that works for you. I know cards
identify us as needing assistance but they offer us a chance to continue
to be independent. Also, it can be an opportunity to talk to the sighted
person about blindness/deafness or hearing loss.  I always try to
educate the people I meet about what the blind, deaf-blind can do.
Janice