[nfb-db] More Travel Questions...

Danielle Burton danielleburton94 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 12:44:33 UTC 2013

Hi, Kerri. My name is Danielle and I'm getting ready to graduate from high school next month. I am totally blind and have a mild to moderate hearing loss. I wear hearing aides in both ears. i also have trouble localizing traffic sounds. I can hear the cars but when there's about 4 or 5 cars I can tell what they are doing because the sounds jumble together and it just sounds like a roar of traffic.  I some of the same fears as you do since I will be going to college in the falittle and will be traveling by myself on campus. I am getting Krientation and Mobility training on my college campus now and will do so this summer as well since the University is 45 minutes away from my home. Have you ever heard of indenting when crossing a street? If your perpendicular street is not too busy you can walk away from the intersection until the sounds of the traffic are quieer and cross when it's all quiet. thenwhen you get across go back toward the intercetion and find the sidewalk. This will not work ona  really busy street but may help.

Sent from my iPhone