[nfb-db] More Travel Questions...

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 11:56:14 UTC 2013

Hi:

Thanks for this message. I probably should have explained this in my
I basically have hearing in one ear and that is all. My right ear is
considered a "dead ear."
In my left ear, I have okay hearing I guess.
I can hear the traffic, but when trying to cross streets I can't tell
what the cars are doing at all such as turning, or what direction they
are going, stuff like that.
I can listen and tell if there is traffic. I can tell if the
intersection is lighted or not, but I can't tell which street is
moving or what the cars are doing.
Basically, I can't localize to sounds very well though I can hear them.
The center said that I have to get assistance unless the street is one
of those which is relateively quiet or has a sufficient quiet gap.
If it is lighted, or it is busy to where there are no quiet gaps I
have to get assistance.
I know this sounds pretty bad but I worked hard to overcome it. My
instructor and I worked very hard on improving my mental mapping
(which is why I am so excited that I am finally better at it), and
using the sun, and I use cardinal directions all the time whereas a
blind person without hearing loss would use the traffic to orient to.
I do a very very good job of differentiating between the sidewalk and
the street by using my cane.
I can also tell whether something is a driveway or a street or a
parking lot by using my cane.
My street crossings are usually very straight.
I also stay nice and straight on the sidewalks and I have a good pace.
When I first went to the center, all of this was very scary for me,
even just using my cane, but I worked hard to get over my fear, trust
my cane,  and increase my speed when walking.
Even though I can't localize, I stay straight by using good cane technique.
I can communicate with people, and can get directions from people.
I guess it's just orienting/localizing to traffic where my hearing is
most affected.
Thanks,
Kerri