[nfb-db] hearing aides and more

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 13:56:58 UTC 2013

Hi Sheila.
I agree with others here that say you should at least look in to it.
Even if now isn't the time to get a cochlear implant, you may decide
further down the road that it is. And you'll have the info ready. I
wanted to add my own perspective on this. For those uninterested, feel
free to press the delete key, I won't be offended. (smiles).
One of the reasons I have chosen to refrain from getting a cochlear
implant thus far has been the risks already mentioned in other
messages. The other is that this is no where near an overnight process
as I understand it. First, you have to wait several days for the
device to even be turned on after the surgery. After that, you
essentially need to learn to rehear things, as it sounds much
different than what you experience with your hearing aids. And while I
have the understanding that this is eventually a process I will need
to go through, and something I'm attempting to prepare for, I'm not
yet ready. I have too busy of a lifestyle to just put everything on
hold for several weeks while  I recover from surgery. I have many
sound effects libraries in digital format which I can start to use to
retrain my ear to hear sounds and then identify what they are, but
again, this is a serious undertaking. At least, from the people I've
witnessed going through it and the things I've read, it certainly
appears that way. I'd be interested to get the perspective of others
who have had it done...

Scott